U.F.O.C. - Under Funded Offroad Crew
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May long plans

+3
Vertigo
lwb86
MasterYota
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

May long plans Empty May long plans

Post by MasterYota Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Who's got plans for May long weekend?

Share 'em here...
MasterYota
MasterYota

https://ufoc4x4.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

May long plans Empty Re: May long plans

Post by lwb86 Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Attempt to summit dome mountain. There is three rigs it sounds like so far.

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:44 pm

My plans usually dictate QCC, but after doing that for 14 years straight, I'm thinking I might need a break. There has been some talk of a Kluskoil trip instead, with at least half a dozen interested rigs...
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by lwb86 Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Lol 14 years. No way I could do that.

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

It was pretty easy to do. The camp spot is fantastic, the trails are fun, and usually alot of great people with great rigs show up. It really was a fun time. However, the last few years have gotten away from the wheeling and turned more into a "who can drink the most beer in a weekend" sort of trip, and thats just not as much fun...
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertigo Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 pm

When the priority shifted from making sure you had enough alcohol for the weekend, but not enough fuel...that was enough for me to not want to go again...
Vertigo
Vertigo

Back to top Go down

Post by lwb86 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 pm

That's what I thought the crawl part was all about. That why I never showed up. We wheeled it four -five years ago just before the long weekend. Had a stock tracker tag along with us made no problem with all the bypasses till he got cocky near the camp and soaked his alternator. I prefer trails with no bypasses. No options do or die. Lol

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertigo Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 am

The "club" can have the canyon...I want to go somewhere else..
Vertigo
Vertigo

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:13 am

The "do or die" scenario definitely weeds out the poseurs...

QCC was never about the challenge though, it was an event to bring wheelers of all capabilities together. The crawl part never used to be about getting hammered, it was a reflection of how fast you could go with 30 other trucks on the trail either stuck, broken, or both... The bypass' are there for a reason, there are mud holes on that road that are do and die... When its been wet out for several days, that road gets ugly fast. The nice thing about that trip was you could enjoy it in a stock Tracker, or a buggy on 49's. The point was to have fun. Now it just seems that most of the attendee's blow their summer wheeling budget on flats of beer, and then complain they are too broke to wheel for the rest of the year... A piss-poor excuse if there ever was one...(pun intended)...
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

I must have really been in my own little bubble last year when I made it to the canyon finally. I'm not arguing what happened, from my point of view the canyon has always been alot of fun. I don't drink to excess, but I have lots of fun wheeling and I do partake around the fire at night.
The drinkers have always been there, I just zone it out and enjoy myself.

That being said I have never missed QCC when I haven't been there, loved making it back last year, but don't miss it, been there done that kinda thing.

Time for something new then.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Well put Brad, my assessment comes off a little harsh... I'm not much of a drinker so I find it pretty easy to be judgemental... My bad...
Although I have heard the argument that some people, (who I like wheeling with) won't go because they can't afford the quantity of booze needed to "enjoy" the event... Thats a priority in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned...

I'll go back to QCC again, probably multiple times, just not this year. I need a change.

So. Who else has a great plan for May long?

LWB - Can you expand a little on what Dome Mountain is like?
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Ray, forget the details. You don't need more info other than when and where to meet Timber and Jason. Load up your truck and get out there. I can promise them two will show you a good time and as you know I can speak from experience on the Houston area. Get your ass out there. Kluskoil is old too, been there, done it. I'd be back to Houston for wheeling in a heartbeat if I could make money there.

Enough planning, go to Houston and experience some "new" adventures.

Just my opinion, your's may differ but your wrong! Razz

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Haywire fab Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:39 pm

My plan is to check ou lt the backroads and trails all round the kiskatna area. Mebbe git some coyotes while im at it
Haywire fab
Haywire fab

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertigo Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:54 pm

I am all for wheeling, but having my children along for the ride, my rig will not be going anywhere with there will be any kind of hunting...sorry
Vertigo
Vertigo

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Gonesplorin wrote:Ray, forget the details. You don't need more info other than when and where to meet Timber and Jason. Load up your truck and get out there. I can promise them two will show you a good time and as you know I can speak from experience on the Houston area. Get your ass out there. Kluskoil is old too, been there, done it. I'd be back to Houston for wheeling in a heartbeat if I could make money there.

Enough planning, go to Houston and experience some "new" adventures.

Just my opinion, your's may differ but your wrong! Razz

Brad

Fair enough Brad... But I've only been to Kluskoil once in all the years I've been wheeling, so for me, it is new area. The Dome info I was looking into wasn't so much about the trail type, but more along the camping type, ie. base camp or moving every day, outhouse or shit'n in the woods, extra fuel needed?... Just stuff like that. Those details will determine what I pack for camp gear, and wether or not I get to have a tent warmer or not... Happy wife equals happy life... lol!
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 am

Well i guess those kind of details are okay Ray. Didn't realize you had only been to Kluskoil once. I'd still say head out to Houston, Kluskoil is an any weekend trip, pretty close to home. Again just my opinion but I would head out west.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

Haywire fab wrote:My plan is to check ou lt the backroads and trails all round the kiskatna area. Mebbe git some coyotes while im at it

There are a few trails around the kiskatinaw, Dead mans beach on the far side can be fun depending how the weather has been and which way you take into it. There isn't much on your side of the river. 10 minutes worth of exploring down three hills. There is a trail I have been meaning to "open up" near the bottom of the hill on Triangle road. It starts on private property, use to belong to my brother. Other than that you can drive the oilfield and farm roads back there for a couple days.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am

You have a point about Kluskoil being an "any weekend" trip... I might have to give some serious thought to heading west for the May long...
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

atta boy!

bounce bounce bounce

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hill-Bilt Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm

A little more info on the dome:
Time-
the trail is about a 6-8hr round trip back to Houston, but there is other routes along the way. You can go through and come out in Smithers, bout 5hrs.
Terrian-
The trial has mud, rocks and I would expect snow still in may. when you get up into the sub-alpine there are a ton of rock gardens and obsticals to play on. Coming down the back side you run into mud and typical trail obsticals. Wink
Difficulty-
I hate rating trails cause everybody has different ratings. The trail is as hard as you want it to be, you can go play on the harder stuff or stick to the trail. Ive made it through on a toy with 33's no lockers. Had to winch a few times but nothing major. Suspect
Camping-
Camping will greatly depend on whos coming, but I think the plan is an overnighter,No base camp, youll be packing your camp gear with ya. There is a snowmobile cabin, weve never been in it. But Im assuming we would camp at Guess Lake. Nice little spot. Bring a tent. No toilets. bring a shovel affraid
Recomendations for Rigs-
I would bring spare fuel for sure. If we run into snow we all know has fast it goes Very Happy I recomend winches. If you wanna play in the rocks with us I also recomend lockers and good gearing. And the usual crap you normally pack. Side Note for newbs: This trail is way back in the mountains, not the ditches in PG scratch so have your rig 100% ready to rock. the wrecker isnt gonna be able to tow you home Laughing

Couple pics
May long plans IMG_0239

May long plans DSC00628

May long plans DSC00619

May long plans DSC00616

May long plans DSC00621

Hill-Bilt

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Thats the info I was hoping for. Thanks Jason!

Are you guys planning one night or two?
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by lwb86 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am

drove up there yesterday to the trailhead there is at least four -five feet of snow

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Thats not surprising. I've got an easy 4' sitting on my sundeck right now, and I'm not remotely in the "mountains". I'm figuring to have snow in the ditch infront of the house till at least June. The mountains might not even be open much at all this year unless we get some serious heat and good weather...
MasterYota
MasterYota

Back to top Go down

Post by lwb86 Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

We had almost no sno hear but it's been snowing like a bastard for a week now

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by Haywire fab Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Hey Brad. I live like 10-15 minutes from there. Ifn ya ever need a hand with that "trail" give me a holler
Haywire fab
Haywire fab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next