U.F.O.C. - Under Funded Offroad Crew
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGregor area

4 posters

Go down

McGregor area Empty McGregor area

Post by MasterYota Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the McGregor area, either from hunting or sledding? I found another trail that might be worth exploring called the "Farm Trail" (Northern BC backroads Map book, Page 13&28). It might be worth an overnight trip to go and have a look...
MasterYota
MasterYota

https://ufoc4x4.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

McGregor area Empty Re: McGregor area

Post by Gonesplorin Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Mike and I made a trip out that way years ago. Don't remember exactly where we went but I might be able to find it again. We ran into a river that was very full, taking over the road. That stopped that particular trip and Mike went out again alone. I can't remember why he was out of the truck on the second trip but he ended up meeting a grizzly on the trail.
Anyway, good times, don't know why we didn't head out there again. Seemed very promising.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ride Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 am

Is this the trail that is supposed to go from PG side to Tumbler side? There is no way through that i have found. Apparently way back in the day some exploreers took an old model T or something through there but there was no road. Where they went through is a hiking trail now. Its a really cool area though, definately worth exploring. I love that area.

Ride

Back to top Go down

Post by lwb86 Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 am

That's the monkman trail

lwb86

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Monkman trail should be doable from the north side, would be a whole lot of trail clearing. The problem on the south side is the river. It comes out by either Penny or Shelley, can't remember what it's called. Anyway there is no easy way across the river. The route from the north was last travelled "to my knowledge" in the 80's I believe. There is now a historic hiking trail but I don't believe it follows the actual Monkman pass Highway really closely. Sara has hiked part of the trail, she has a good story on that one. On the Tumbler Ridge end of the trail I think roads have taken over a good protion of the trail for gas field exploration but there is still miles and miles left to clear. Would be a fun project but would be an amazing time commitment.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Oh and to answer the question, No.

The McGregor area is farther east than the monkman hwy.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterYota Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Brian, I think you're refering to the "champain" expedition, or the bordeaux expedition. They used half-track Citroens imported from france to make the trip from Calgary to Dawson Creek and ended up leaving everything, pushing the halftracks off a cliff into (I belive) the Murray River...

The Farm Trail is west of Monkman park, but much further north of Penny. It looks accessable from either the N. Fraser FSR, or via Upper Fraser... The trail is marked as a hiking trail, but it isn't in any protected area's, nor is it mentioned as a "historical route" in the Map book at all...
MasterYota
MasterYota

https://ufoc4x4.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonesplorin Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:23 pm

I think he's talking about the "Monkman Pass Hwy"

It was to be the route from Prince George up to the peace but basically lost out to the "Pine Pass Hwy"

It was driven from north to south once, in 1936 I believe. Although wether the cars actually finished the whole trip was in question.

Brad

Gonesplorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down